Intra-Africa Secondment Programme (IASP) 2018
The proposed location for IASP 2018 is South Africa. This will confirmed at the time of opening the applications portal.
Applications for ILFA's Intra-Africa Secondment Programme (IASP) for placements in South Africa will open in February 2018.
Annual Programme Rotation - IASP Secondment locations change annually. All host countries will be in Africa and will rotate regionally.
Applicants must have:
- Have a distinguished academic background and in particular a degree in law;
- Have a minimum of a second class upper division (2.1) or equivalent according to British undergraduate degree classification system) from a university with a reputable law faculty;
- Be a qualified practising lawyer in any African jurisdiction with a minimum of 3 years post qualified experience (PQE);
- Have permanent residence and currently be working in of an African country (in-house, private practice, government). Exceptions made for approved sabbaticals i.e studying abroad etc);
- Be aged between 18 and 35 (at the time of the programme);
- Be fluent in English. French, Portuguese, Arabic are desirable for certain placements;
- Have a record of having performed high quality work which can be verified by strong referees familiar with the individual’s work;
- A clear plan of returning to the home jurisdiction at the end of the secondment and a commitment to sharing the skills acquired on secondment with others;
- Be committed to developing legal skills across a range of practice areas and to participating in all aspects of the secondment programme.
Secondees will be placed with one of IASP's firms and corporations. As such, their legal expertise should match those of the host firm's areas of practice e.g. corporate and commercial law, dispute resolution (arbitration, litigation and ADR), public international law, banking and finance etc.
IASP Secondees will be provided with:
- Visa application assistance
- Visa fee
- Flight arrangements
- Roundtrip airfare
- Transportation to and from the airport
- Appropriate accommodation
- Weekly allowance
- Transportation allowance for local travel in the city of placement
On commencement of placement, secondees will receive:
- A programme induction
- An ILFA mentor (buddy) within the placement
- ILFA training sessions hosted/delivered by sponsor organisations
Selection Process & Timeline